Bawaajigewin Aboriginal Community Circle (BACC) is celebrating National Indigenous Day with week-long virtual events June 21 to 27, 2020. BACC seeks to celebrate Indigenous presence, nurture relationships, and facilitate collaborations between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples by sharing information about Indigenous perspectives and engage the Durham Region and regional Indigenous communities.
The schedule for the week includes:
- Welcome from Chief Kelly LaRocca from Scugog Island First Nation
- Introduction by Mary George, President of Bawaajigewin
- Proclamation from Mayor Carter, City of Oshawa
- Proclamation from Regional Chair John Henry, Region of Durham
- Wiingushk Deyweygun Drum Group opens the event with an honour song
- Oshawa Public Libraries share Family Storytelling
- Indigenish Catering video – How To Make Bannock
- Karli Robertson Scavenger Hunt Andawenjige – to go hunting
- Colouring Contest
- Métis Nation of Ontario Durham Region Videos of Past Events
- The Gord Downie & Chanie Wenjack Fund join us as we come to share history, culture, and music from incredible Indigenous artists and more.
- Virtual Speaker Series – DDSB Indigenous Education
- Artscan Circle Online Video Workshops
- Robert McLaughlin Gallery presents Kissed by Lightning movie and interview with Shelley Niro
- Cale Crowe Singer/Songwriter
- Oshawa Senior Community Centres and Carea Community Health Centre – Online Indigenous Book Club with Angela Duckworth
- Oshawa Museum – Tour through A Carrying Place: Oshawa’s Indigenous Story
Together with our partners, there will be multiple online events.